Saturday, August 8, 2009

Race Day: "by dad"








Austin did great! There were about fifteen 10 y/o boys. This was by far the most competitive group we've seen. The race directors decided to do staggered starts at 10 second intervals. Austin was the first to go in his age group. The good news is that he was also the first 10 y/o boy to cross the finish line! The boy who started the swim 10 seconds behind him exited the pool just in front of Austin, but Austin made up for it in transition one and was on his bike riding about 30 seconds before the other kiddo was.

He didn't "just finish" the race. He pushed himself the entire time. I was very proud of him.

We won't know the official times until Monday or Tuesday. There was major controversy involving the biking portion of the race. Austin's age group had to complete the mile long loop twice. There were several kids who only did one loop instead of two. Apparently no one was tracking this but it was clearly evident after looking at some of the biking times. I'm not sure how they will sort it out but it really doesn't matter. Austin had a great time and was grinning from ear to ear when he finished. I have no doubt the Ironkids will be a little more official with their results.

I would like to thank everyone for their support. Austin checked the blog on my iphone this morning (on the way to the race) to see if anyone had left comments. He was very encouraged by your words (mom, dad and christin)

Austin went straight from the race to a 2 hour baseball scrimmage. He went 0-2 a the plate but got to pitch and got through his inning with 12 pitches, one strikeout, no runs and only one hit and one walk.

He will post his thoughts on the race a little later today.

Thanks again!







2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first triathlon! Your dad has kept me updated at work (on both baseball and triathlon) and I have been following your blog. It sounds like you had a great time, and I know this is just the beginning for you. I will keep rooting for you in the Iron Kids and beyond! -Katherine Healey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin I am so excited for you. You make me soooooo proud. I see the determination on your face in each picture and it makes me want to scream HIP-HIP-HOORAY! I love you so much and can't wait to see you for your birthday!!!
    Honey

    ReplyDelete