Friday, August 7, 2009

Training - August 6th- 7th

Today is the day before the BIG RACE!!!!!!!!! Today was also a rest day, but I rode my new road bike so I could get better at riding it. What I did was practice getting my feet in the toe clips and practice my transitions.


Yesterday Dad and I went down to the Branch Crossing YMCA and road my bike on the race course. Each time you pass the YMCA it's about a mile, so we rode the bike the equivalent distance of the track. We thought I was going to have to get off my bike and get a bracelet to show I had done one lap and could come in for the run but we were wrong! There was a lady there helping to set up the race course and told us that we were wearing computer chips so they start when the kids start and stop when the kids stop. We are also doing staggered starts, which means kids are starting the swim every ten seconds. She also walked us through the whole race and even told us where we were going to mount our bikes get off our bikes.


This is how the race is going to go:

Swimming: When I start swimming I'm going to go up a lane, then come back down another lane and do the same thing with the next two lanes. No buoys like the last one.

Transition #1: After I finish swimming I'm going to run to my transition area put down my goggles and swim cap, dry my feet, put on my helmet, put on my shoes and take my bike to the mounting area mount and start riding.

Bike: I'm going to do the course which when going away from the YMCA is mostly down but coming back is mostly up hill. One bad part is you have to go up a bus ramp when you go into the school parking lot. Another bad part is that the down hill part ends with a very steep up hill part.

Transition #2: I'm going to take my bike, put it up, take off my helmet and put on my shirt while I'm running.

Running: The run is only half a mile so I'm going to put on my shirt at first while I'm running because I have to have a shirt with my number on it when I cross the finish line and run as hard as I can to try and win!!!!

I am excited about the race. I have to wake up at 545am and be there by 645 so I am going ot bed soon.

Check back tomorrow for the results! Thanks for everyone's support!

3 comments:

  1. Austin,

    I love you and am so excited for you. I can't wait to check back in and see how you did.

    Good Luck,
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey and I will be thinking about you in the morning and praying for you. Remember your training, and you'll do great. This is EXCITING!!!!

    Love,
    Pawpaw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright little buddy - you burn it up tomorrow! I will be praying you through the race....for a level head, for your endurance, for your strength, and for your willingness to let God use you in a big way regardless of the outcome. Please remember that the Gilkeson's are cheering you on! I am so proud of you, kiddo! We can't wait to hear all about your experience.

    I love you!
    Aunt Christin (the loudest Gilkeson cheerleader)

    ReplyDelete